Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The University Journal Goes Hipster

On Thursday there is going to be a media banquet at SUU and each news medium is contributing something and at the University Journal decided we wanted to do a joke hipster edition. The main "article" talks about how our editor-in-chief (Kenzie) has discovered the way to save print journalism and that is to become hipster. The issue is going to have articles on dumpster diving, dressing like a hipster, how longboarding should be a sport, and then I wrote one on how to knit your own hipster hat.

We decided to do a staff photo to put in the issue and then all of the staff got to participate in something called Talk Back. Talk Back is in the opinion section and it's where we ask students various questions (for example: What did you think of Homecoming?). For the hipster issue our question was "What do you think the biggest issue is on campus?" We all had to do a hipster response and I said that I don't think we should have scheduled class times and we should learn when we feel like learning.

Here is the staff photo and then my talk back picture (which I actually really like) and then below is my article on making your own hat.



I have been knitting since I was 12 years old and so I guess you can say I started this trend.
Though I knit a lot of different things (blankets, socks, sweaters, pants, etc.) my favorite thing to knit are hats.
Hats are essential to my wardrobe and I have yet to find a store that sells better hats than mine. Also I like to know where my hats come from and know who made it.
Some people think I am too picky and think I am a little strange because I have come to the point that I need to know where my yarn comes from and for this reason I herd my own sheep.
I have three sheep name Clementine, Sebastian and Hazel. I shear each of them, dye my own yarn and then I knit my projects around my sheep because I think I owe it to my sheep to let them know what their wool is being used for.
I also have made sweaters for my sheep so while their wool is growing back they can stay warm. Even though they normally eat the sweaters, I know they appreciate it.
Anyways, let’s move on to how you make a hat. I am going to give directions but I am not going to explain how to knit. If you don’t know how to knit you have no business reading this article and you are just a poser.
First off, you will cast on 100 stitches and from there you will knit two stitches and then purl two stitches. You will continue to do this until the brim measures two inches.
You will then start a stockinette stitch (knit one row, purl one row, repeat). You will do this until the whole hat measures 10 inches. You are now ready to finish up the hat.
You need to be on a row where you would do a knit stitch rather than purl. Knit seven stitches and then knit two stitches together. Continue to do this throughout the rest of the row.
You then will purl the next row without combining any stitches. You will then start a pattern that anytime you have to do a knit stitch you will knit six stitches and combine two, purl a row, knit five stitches and combine two, etc.
This pattern will continue until you are combining two stitches each time. You are now ready to sew it up.
Cut a tail from the yarn that measures about 20 inches and thread the yarn through a needle. You will first guide the needle through the remaining stitches and pull the thread tight. From there you combine the two edges of the hat and you just sew it up until you are done.
You now have a hat.
Of course, this process shouldn’t be about making a hat but rather the experience you have making the hat.
Use this time to be in nature listening to the birds singing and when nature becomes old you can listen to bands like Dumbo Gets Mad, The Antlers and St. Vincent (you’ve probably never heard of them).
I would also suggest to take some time and write what you are feeling during this process. If you have a thought take a break from knitting and write it down. You don’t want to forget a single thing.
This is not about just having a hat but being connected to your hat. 


No comments:

Post a Comment